from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who bears a cross in a religious procession.
- n. Botany Any of various plants in the mustard family (Cruciferae or Brassicaceae), which includes the alyssum, candytuft, cabbage, radish, broccoli, and many weeds.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a person who carries a cross in a religious procession
- n. a member of the family Cruciferae, the cabbage family, including cabbage and mustard
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any plant of the family Cruciferæ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cross-bearer; specifically, one who carries a large cross in ecclesiastical processions.
- n. In botany, a plant of the order Cruciferæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various plants of the family Cruciferae
Late Latin : Latin crux, cruc-, cross + Latin -fer, -fer.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin crucifer ("cross-bearer"), from crux ("cross") + ferō ("I carry, bear"). (Wiktionary)