from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of cruciferous plants; madwort. The sweet alyssum (Alyssum maritimum), cultivated for bouquets, bears small, white, sweet-scented flowers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of plants, natural order Cruciferœ, containing several white- or yellow-flowered species, much employed for decorating rockwork.
- n. [lowercase] A plant of this genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a genus of the family Cruciferae
- n. any garden plant of the genus Alyssum having clusters of small yellow or white flowers
Sorry, no etymologies found.