from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Obligatory: their bounden duty.
- adj. Archaic Being under obligation; obliged.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Under an obligation; obliged (to do something)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Bound; fastened by bonds.
- Under obligation; bound by some favor rendered; obliged; beholden.
- Made obligatory; imposed as a duty; binding.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Obliged; bound, or under obligation; beholden.
- Appointed; indispensable; obligatory.
- [In both senses archaic, its only present common use being in the phrase bounden duty.]
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. morally obligatory
Middle English, past participle of binden, to bind, from Old English bindan; see bind.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)