from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who operates, inspects, or repairs brakes, especially a railroad employee who assists the conductor and checks on the operation of a train's brakes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A railroad employee responsible for a train's brakes, couplings etc
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man in charge of a brake or brakes.
- n. The man in charge of the winding (or hoisting) engine for a mine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A man whose business is to apply the brakes on a railroad-train which are operated by hand.
- n. 2. In mining, the man in charge of the winding-engine.
- n. Sometimes spelled breakman, and in Great Britain often called brakesman.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a railroad employee responsible for a train's brakes
Sorry, no etymologies found.