from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A firefighter.
- n. A man who tends fires; a stoker.
- n. An enlisted man in the U.S. Navy engaged in the operation of engineering machinery.
- n. Baseball A relief pitcher.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone (implied male) who is skilled in the work of fighting fire.
- n. A man who keeps the fire going underneath a steam boiler (originally, shoveling coal by hand), particularly on a railroad locomotive.
- n. By extension of the above, an assistant on any locomotive, whether steam-powered or not.
- n. A relief pitcher.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man whose business is to extinguish fires in towns; a member of a fire company.
- n. A man who tends the fires, as of a steam engine; a stocker.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of an organized company, in a city or town, whose business it is to extinguish or prevent conflagrations; a member of a fire-company.
- n. One of the crew of a gun in the United States navy whose duty it is to assist in extinguishing fire, especially during a battle.
- n. A man employed in tending fires, as of a steam-engine; a stoker.
- n. In coal-mining, a person charged with the special duty of examining every morning the working-places and roads of a pit to ascertain if fire-damp is present.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. play in which children pretend to put out a fire
- n. a laborer who tends fires (as on a coal-fired train or steamship)
- n. a pitcher who does not start the game
- n. a member of a fire department who tries to extinguish fires
fire + -man (Wiktionary)