from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A firefighter.
- n. A man who tends fires; a stoker.
- n. An enlisted man in the U.S. Navy engaged in the operation of engineering machinery.
- n. Baseball A relief pitcher.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone (implied male) who is skilled in the work of fighting fire.
- n. A man who keeps the fire going underneath a steam boiler (originally, shoveling coal by hand), particularly on a railroad locomotive.
- n. By extension of the above, an assistant on any locomotive, whether steam-powered or not.
- n. A relief pitcher.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man whose business is to extinguish fires in towns; a member of a fire company.
- n. A man who tends the fires, as of a steam engine; a stocker.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of an organized company, in a city or town, whose business it is to extinguish or prevent conflagrations; a member of a fire-company.
- n. One of the crew of a gun in the United States navy whose duty it is to assist in extinguishing fire, especially during a battle.
- n. A man employed in tending fires, as of a steam-engine; a stoker.
- n. In coal-mining, a person charged with the special duty of examining every morning the working-places and roads of a pit to ascertain if fire-damp is present.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. play in which children pretend to put out a fire
- n. a laborer who tends fires (as on a coal-fired train or steamship)
- n. a pitcher who does not start the game
- n. a member of a fire department who tries to extinguish fires
Here Bradbury evoked in less than 10 pages the same emotions as “The Fireman” did at considerably longer length, with the boy Tom serving much the same role as the title fireman of the more famous story.
The other fireman is already a distinguished one with a Nobel Peace Prize, and all along the way you don't know if he's the fireman or the pyromaniac.
I had to carry her in fireman style, kicking and screaming everyday for a month, she hated it so much.
In the world where this story takes place, a fireman is not someone who stops fires, but someone who burns books.
He put on the gloves with a fireman from the Berthe in a scheduled four-round bout at the Folies Bergères, and was knocked out in the second round.
He put on the gloves with a fireman from the Berthe in a scheduled four-round bout at the Folies Bergère, and was knocked out in the second round.
The fireman is playing the hose on me from the engine.
The fireman is playing the hose on me from the car-platform to the rear of the tender, where I am sheltered under the overhang.
A fireman is running through the streets giving the alarm, and a watchman, thoroughly overcome, is taking leave of his senses and his staff in the foreground.
Sometimes the fireman is an arsonist but sometimes he’s really just responding to thefire.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.