from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man employed in a yard, especially a railroad yard.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Worker in a railway yard.
- n. A laborer hired to do outdoor work.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The laborer who has the special care of a farm-yard.
- n. One who is employed in a railway-yard under the yard-master, to assist in switching cars and making up trains. Also yardsman.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a laborer hired to do outdoor work (such as mowing lawns)
- n. worker in a railway yard
From yard + man. (Wiktionary)