from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling the gills of a fish, their homologous embryonic structures, or the derivatives of their homologous parts in higher animals: branchial muscles.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to or resembling gills
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to branchiæ or gills.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the branchiæ or gills; or, in animals which have no gills properly so called, of or pertaining to the parts considered homologous with gills, as, in a bird or mammal, parts of the third postoral visceral arch, or of any visceral arch behind the hyoidean.
- Performed by means of branchiæ: as, branchial respiration; a branchial function.
- In Crustacea, a cavity or space inclosed by the branchiostegite or gill-cover (formed by a free pleural part of the carapace), and bounded internally by the epimera of the branchiferous somites.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to gills (or to parts of the body derived from embryonic gills)
Sorry, no etymologies found.