from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having the ends of the collar fastened down by buttons: a button-down shirt.
- adj. Conservative, conventional, or unimaginative: "a colorful character in the buttoned-down, dull-gray world of business” ( Newsweek).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of a collar, able to be buttoned down to the shirt, as over a necktie.
- adj. Serious; staid; businesslike.
- adj. Conservative; conventional; unimaginative.
- n. A shirt with a button-down collar
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. unimaginatively conventional
- adj. of a shirt; having the ends of the collar fastened down by buttons
Sorry, no etymologies found.