from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sandwich, usually with a hot savoury filling in a breadcake. The most common are chips, bacon, sausage and egg.
- n. A miner who works under contract, receiving a fixed amount per ton of coal or ore.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who mines by contract, at so much per ton of coal or ore.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A comrade, chum, or partner.
- n. Specifically, in English coal-mining, one who takes a contract, or is a partner in a contract, for working out a certain area of coal.
- n. In archery, one of a pair of archers who shoot together at a target: as, when the leader has shot his first arrow his butty takes his place.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sandwich
Shortened from buttered sandwich or bun etc. See -y. (Wiktionary)