Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A comrade, chum, or partner.
- n. Specifically, in English coal-mining, one who takes a contract, or is a partner in a contract, for working out a certain area of coal. The butty-collier, or first man, as he is called in some coal-mining districts, employs his own holers, fillers, and boys, and has general charge of the work in his own particular “stall,”
- n. In archery, one of a pair of archers who shoot together at a target: as, when the leader has shot his first arrow his butty takes his place.
- n. UK, New Zealand A sandwich, usually with a hot savoury filling in a breadcake. The most common are chips, bacon, sausage and egg.
- n. mining A miner who works under contract, receiving a fixed amount per ton of coal or ore.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mining) One who mines by contract, at so much per ton of coal or ore.
- n. a sandwich
- Shortened from buttered sandwich or bun etc. See -y. (Wiktionary)
“Sometimes you want something complicated like the ones in previous posts, sometimes a chip butty is the only thing you want.”
“The butty was a contractor who engaged with the proprietor or lessee of the mine to deliver the coal or iron-stone at so much per ton, himself hiring the labourers, using his own horses, and supplying the tools requisite for the working of the mine.”
“Their advantage over the horse drawns, however, was their ability to tow several unpowered boats, known as butty boats.”
“TJttarcul begins at Gowa* butty, which is the boundary of his Majefty*s territorial pofleffions, and terminates in moun - tains inhabited by a tribe called Meeri Mecbmi.”
“Staffordshire miner knew by the same word the 'butty's charter' which was the symbol of his oppression, and the 'people's charter' which was the goal of his desire.”
“The "butty" is the head man over all the works, and indeed everything about the pit; the "doggy" has charge of the underground works, and looks after all the men and boys in the pit.”
“butty' (_Anglicè_, chartermaster) may have tried a bottle; but the working collier's beverage is 'pit beer.”
“A sandwich (or "butty") is the name given to a popular lunchtime food consisting of a filling (such as”
“I nearly choked on my butty as I read that we should be putting more people before the courts to ensure they receive the “tough” penalties they deserve.”
“Munching of the aforementioned butty is optimal with a background sound of Radio 3 and the mere essence of a Christmas joss stick.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘butty’.
Coal mining has engendered fascinating subcultures in industry, labor, music, folklore, environment and energy. It has a rich vocabulary as well, and I've encountered some gorgeous mining words. I...
It's a list of my favourite beverages. In words.
innocent words that sound really naughty
types of sandwich
All of them.
Looking for tweets for butty.