from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sandwich, usually with a hot savoury filling in a breadcake. The most common are chips, bacon, sausage and egg.
- n. A miner who works under contract, receiving a fixed amount per ton of coal or ore.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who mines by contract, at so much per ton of coal or ore.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A comrade, chum, or partner.
- n. Specifically, in English coal-mining, one who takes a contract, or is a partner in a contract, for working out a certain area of coal.
- n. In archery, one of a pair of archers who shoot together at a target: as, when the leader has shot his first arrow his butty takes his place.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sandwich
Sometimes you want something complicated like the ones in previous posts, sometimes a chip butty is the only thing you want.
The butty was a contractor who engaged with the proprietor or lessee of the mine to deliver the coal or iron-stone at so much per ton, himself hiring the labourers, using his own horses, and supplying the tools requisite for the working of the mine.
Their advantage over the horse drawns, however, was their ability to tow several unpowered boats, known as butty boats.
TJttarcul begins at Gowa* butty, which is the boundary of his Majefty*s territorial pofleffions, and terminates in moun - tains inhabited by a tribe called Meeri Mecbmi.
Staffordshire miner knew by the same word the 'butty's charter' which was the symbol of his oppression, and the 'people's charter' which was the goal of his desire.
The "butty" is the head man over all the works, and indeed everything about the pit; the "doggy" has charge of the underground works, and looks after all the men and boys in the pit.
'butty' (_Anglicè_, chartermaster) may have tried a bottle; but the working collier's beverage is 'pit beer.'
A sandwich (or "butty") is the name given to a popular lunchtime food consisting of a filling (such as
I nearly choked on my butty as I read that we should be putting more people before the courts to ensure they receive the “tough” penalties they deserve.
Munching of the aforementioned butty is optimal with a background sound of Radio 3 and the mere essence of a Christmas joss stick.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.