Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to carbon, or obtained from it.
- An engine which is moved by the expansive force of condensed carbonic acid.
- a substance (CO) obtained by allowing carbonic acid to pass over red-hot fragments of charcoal, contained in a tube of iron and porcelain, and also by several other processes. It is a colorless, inodorous gas, a little lighter than air, has neither acid nor alkaline properties, is very poisonous, and burns with a pale-lavender flame. This substance is produced when a coal-fire burns with a smokeless flame, and the pale-lavender flame produced by its combustion may often be observed playing over such a fire.
- adj. Of or relating to carbon.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Chem.) Of, pertaining to, or obtained from, carbon.
- adj. relating to or consisting of or yielding carbon
“All limestones contain a great deal of this gas which issues from the candle, and which we call carbonic acid.”
“KRULWICH: And then he did it again - a week later with a gas he called carbonic acid.”
“When CO2 is produced during respiration, an enzyme called carbonic anhydrase turns it into biocarbonate for easy transportation into the lungs.”
“Beaujolais is produced by a fermentation method called carbonic maceration that ' s rarely employed in other parts of the word.”
“The proteins are enzymes called carbonic anhydrases.”
“The gas made by the candle in burning, and which also is got out of the chalk and marble, is called carbonic acid.”
“There is another gas, called carbonic acid, made partly of oxygen and partly of carbon, or burnt wood, which might be called”
“Then we have the gas commonly called carbonic acid in extremely minute quantities, about one part in 2,500, or four one-hundredths of one per cent.”
“Carbon forms two compounds with oxygen -- carbon monoxide, commonly called carbonic oxide, and carbon dioxide, commonly called carbonic acid; and the last-named, being of most importance, will be studied first.”
“It is called carbonic acid gas, which, is unhealthy and not fit for breathing.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘carbonic’.
Looking for tweets for carbonic.