from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, derived from, or containing nitrogen, especially in a valence state higher than that in a comparable nitrous compound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or containing, nitrogen.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or containing, nitrogen; specifically, designating any one of those compounds in which, as contrasted with
nitrouscompounds, the element has a higher valence
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining to, or derived from niter: applied in chemistry to oxygen compounds of nitrogen which contain more oxygen than those other compounds to which the epithet nitrous is applied. See nitrous.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or containing nitrogen
Sorry, no etymologies found.