from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See wolverine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Wolverine, a solitary, fierce member of the weasel family.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The wolverene; -- also applied, but erroneously, to the Canada lynx, and sometimes to the American badger. See wolverene.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The American wolverene, Gulo luscus. See wolverene.
- n. Erroneously— the American badger, Taxidea americana;
- n. the cougar, Felis concolor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. stocky shaggy-coated North American carnivorous mammal
Canadian French, from Montagnais kuàkuàtsheu.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Probably from the same Algonquian source as (certainly related to) kinkajou. (Wiktionary)