American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A broad-beamed sailboat carrying a single sail on a mast stepped well forward and often fitted with a centerboard.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A boat having a cat-rig. In England cat-boats are known as Una-boats, probably from the name of the first cat-rigged boat used there.
- n. A sailing boat with a single sail, usually rigged on a gaff spar, used for fishing in New England and later adapted for racing and cruising. Catboats can be recognized by a single mast set near to the bow and a long boom which may extend over the stern.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Naut.) A small sailboat, with a single mast placed as far forward as possible, carring a sail extended by a gaff and long boom. See
- n. a sailboat with a single mast set far forward
- From obsolete cat, catboat. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“We went into an empty classroom and I reached into my brief case to bring out two sets of note cards; one, a collection of colorful UNICEF cards that a kid gave me when I slipped him an extra bag of Reese's Pieces last Halloween, the other a box of formal ecru-with-blue-trim cards that were so thick you could use them to make a sail for a thirty-foot catboat.”
“To our left the harbor was empty save for work boats, one of which was moored to the stake where we tie our eighteen-foot catboat, the Shirley J., in the summer.”
“I was pleased to note a catboat in the center of Katama Bay, its skipper and crew taking advantage of the lovely day.”
“Nowadays, though, I was quite satisfied to sail our eighteen-foot Herreshoff America catboat in local waters.”
“Maybe tomorrow Agganis would let me go home, and maybe I could talk J.W. into giving me a catboat ride back to Woods Hole.”
“The children took turns on the tiller, with me helping them out when it got too much for them, because a catboat can demand a pretty strong hand at the helm.”
“If you can stand another wet ride on the catboat, absolutely.”
“Redburr's been talking about him, too," said Avender from inside the catboat he and Reiffen had picked out.”
“She brought out the gaff and boom while Avender sculled harder to keep the catboat off the sheer cliff behind them.”
“The lakeman gave a last short wave as Avender sculled the catboat out under the iron gate at the entrance to the little harbor and into the bright sunshine beyond.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘catboat’.
Looking for tweets for catboat.