from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The longest boat carried by a sailing ship, especially by a merchant ship.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Among the boats carried by a ship the largest, thus the most capable of boats carried on a ship.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Formerly, the largest boat carried by a merchant vessel, corresponding to the launch of a naval vessel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The largest and strongest boat belonging to a sailing ship. It corresponds to the launch of a modern man-of-war.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the largest boat carried by a merchant sailing vessel
long + boat (Wiktionary)