from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A boat with a flat bottom and square ends used for transporting freight on inland waterways.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A boxy, flat-bottomed boat used for carrying livestock, freight, and people on rivers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A boat with a flat bottom and square ends; -- used for the transportation of bulky freight, especially in shallow waters.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A flat-bottomed boat of considerable size, roughly made of strong timbers, for floating merchandise, etc., down the Mississippi and other western rivers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a flatbottom boat for carrying heavy loads (especially on canals)
Sorry, no etymologies found.