from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Using or making do with whatever means are available; irregular: made a catch-as-catch-can living doing odd jobs.
- adv. However or by whatever means possible: "Reading was learned catch-as-catch-can, while reindeer farming was learned deeply and thoroughly through the daily rigors of survival” ( Bunny McBride).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. intermittent; only when possible or when the opportunity presents itself
- adj. of a form of amateur freestyle wrestling (catch wrestling)
- adv. ad hoc, or in any way possible
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Shot in a catch-as-catch-can manner in 2003, the film tracks the misadventures of Jani Raappana, a 20-year-old slacker addicted to Subutex, the synthetic opiate that has replaced heroin in much of Europe and pervades the youth culture of Rovaniemi, the capital city of Finnish Lapland, north of the Arctic Circle.
Reserved seating can now be booked online, another improvement from the old catch-as-catch-can seating policy.
Getting my foot in the door of an actual, ongoing, contemporary, catch-as-catch-can counterculture.
Jurisprudence has often been a catch-as-catch-can thing at Tulane and Broad, no more so than since the end of the thirty-year reign of District Attorney Harry Connick Sr., father of the singer.
Put at least I'm getting paid, which is more than I've had other than catch-as-catch-can for the last two years.
TRYING TO EXERCISE ON a catch-as-catch-can basis hardly ever works.
Later in the life of her new garden, the meal they shared was a catch-as-catch-can lunch.
The players eat at crazy hours, sleep at crazy hours and live on a catch-as-catch-can basis.
That's the drawback to railroad rattling: when you've walloped yourselves to a standstill there's no room to doze off contentedly rump to rump, and you must sleep catch-as-catch-can.
They throw blame around willy-nilly, playing catch-as-catch-can with the facts in a mad attempt to bring some sense back to their world.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.