from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A catching or collecting of water, especially rainwater.
- n. A structure, such as a basin or reservoir, used for collecting or draining water.
- n. The amount of water collected in such structure.
- n. A catchment area.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any structure or land feature which catches and holds water.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A surface of ground on which water may be caught and collected into a reservoir.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Drainage: rarely used except in the following phrases.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a structure in which water is collected (especially a natural drainage area)
Sorry, no etymologies found.