American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Hydroelectric.
- n. Hydroelectric power.
- n. A hydroelectric power plant.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An element in many compound words of Greek origin, meaning ‘water.’ In chemical compounds other than hydrogen it usually represents hydrogen.
- adj. hydroelectric
- n. uncountable hydroelectric power
- n. Canada, uncountable electrical power supply; specifically : electrical power provided by a utility (as a publicly-owned one)
- n. UK, countable, dated A spa.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolescent A hydro-aëroplane.
- n. hydroelectric power; -- also used attributively.
- From Ancient Greek ὕδωρ (hudōr, "water"). (Wiktionary)
“Instead of steel armor, M. Tommasi has a new invention which he calls hydro-metallic plating.”
“This is what we call a hydro-electric bath," Josephson explained.”
“Oklahoma-based Syntroleum Corp. converts chicken fat into synthetic fuel, using a process it calls hydro-processing.”
“Newfoundland and Quebec are planning mega projects in hydro power.”
“Where hydro is government-owned, there is an especial obligation on the part of the public servants to prevent this conspicuous waste of one of the people's greatest resources.”
“These schemes contemplate the production of fourteen million kilowatts and, when India has achieved that, she will rank third among the nations in hydro-electric power -- The United States, the U.S.S.R., and India.”
“In fracking, otherwise known as hydro-fracturing, drillers sink several horizontal wells from a single wellhead; then, under pressure, they pump in millions of gallons of water laced with chemicals and sand.”
“Our position in those negotiations for those 18 months had been that all tests with nuclear yield except for one category called hydro-nuclear test should be banned.”
“This is that variety known as the hydro-carbons or fats.”
“Make no mistake, owning a hydro is a whole lot of fun, but it also costs a whole lot of money.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hydro’.
Looking for tweets for hydro.