from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See Table at currency.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A cent, i.e. 1/100, of certain (mainly historic) Iberian and Latin American currencies, and presently of the Euro (coinage version in Spanish), as a coin or theoretic value
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A current subsidiary coin of Costa Rica, the hundredth part of a colon, equal to forty-six hundredths of a United States cent. Silver pieces of 5, 10, 25, and 50 centimes are coined.
- n. A current subsidiary coin of Venezuela, the hundredth part of a bolivar, equal to nineteen hundredths of a United States cent.
- n. A subsidiary coin of the Dominican Republic, the hundredth part of a franco, or franc, equal to seventeen hundredths of a United States cent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fractional monetary unit of Venezuela and Costa Rica and Equatorial Guinea and Paraguay and Spain
Spanish céntimo, from French centime; see centime.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish céntimo, French centime, from Latin (via centesimus 'one hundreth'?) centum 'hundred' (Wiktionary)