from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cyst of a tarsal gland.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A cyst in the eyelid, caused by inflammation of a blocked meibomian gland.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small circumscribed tumor of the eyelid caused by retention of secretion, and by inflammation of the Melbomian glands.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a transparent swelling on the eyelid, due to inflammation of a Meibomian gland with obstruction of its duct. Also chalaza.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small sebaceous cyst of the eyelid resulting when a Meibomian gland is blocked
Blepharitis is inflammation of the edges of the eyelids; conjunctivitis is inflammation of the membrane that lines the eyelids and connects to the eyeball; iritis is inflammation of the iris; scleritis is inflammation of the white part of the eyeball, uveitis is inflammation of the pigmented inner parts of the eye; a sty is an inflammation of an oil-secreting gland on or near the edge of an eyelid; a chalazion is a small, hard tumor that forms on the edge of an eyelid.
At doing whatever research I could, I came up with the possibility that this could be a chalazion ...
Acute pain associated with a lid lesion such as a chalazion is not an emergency situation.
This patient was a 25-year-old woman whose eye was penetrated with a 27-gauge needle during an attempt to anesthetize the eyelid for chalazion removal.
Occasionally, a chalazion can cause the entire eyelid to swell suddenly.
Antibiotic ointments may be prescribed if bacteria infect the chalazion.
Steroid injections (usually cortisone) are sometimes used to reduce the inflammation of a chalazion.
Soak a clean washcloth in hot water and apply the cloth to the lid for 10 to 15 minutes, three or four times a day until the chalazion is gone.
Sometimes, however, a chalazion may become red, swollen and tender.
A larger chalazion may also cause blurred vision by distorting the shape of the eye.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.