from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of chiasma.
- n. Alternative form of chiasmus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A commissure; an intersection or crossing of two tracts; especially, the optic commissure, or crucial union of the optic nerves.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, a decussation or intersection; specifically, the decussation of the optic nerves which occurs in nearly all vertebrates. See second cut under brain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an intersection or crossing of two tracts in the form of the letter X
Latin; in sense 1, from chiasma, from Ancient Greek χίασμα (khiasma); in sense 2, from chiasmus, from Ancient Greek χιασμός (khiasmos "crossing, diagonal arrangement") (Wiktionary)