American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Chiefly Southern & Midland U.S. See bedbug.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as chich.
- n. Same as chich.
- To be niggardly.
- n. Same as chinch-bug, 1.
- n. The common bedbug, Cimex lectularius.
- n. The bedbug (Cimex lectularius).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) The bedbug (Cimex lectularius).
- n. (Zoöl.) A bug (Blissus leucopterus), which, in the United States, is very destructive to grass, wheat, and other grains; -- also called
chiniz, chinch bug, chink bug. It resembles the bedbug in its disgusting odor.
- n. bug of temperate regions that infests especially beds and feeds on human blood
- From Spanish or Portuguese chinche ("bug"), from Latin cimicem ("begbug"). (Wiktionary)
- Spanish chinche, from Latin cīmex, cīmic-, bug. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“And if he should get to be master of a Virginia ship which will be very difficult to do a planter that has three or four hundred acres of land and three or four slaves, if he be industrious, may live more comfortably, and leave his family in better Bread, than such a master of a ship can . . .. beforehand, let him begin to chinch, that is buy goods for tobacco and sell. . .”
“To stop a boat leaking you "chinch" the seams with oakum.”
“She followed, no doubt thinking she was about to get "chinch" and stood over me, her hands by her side.”
“He called a chinch bug a Rhyparochromus, but he saddled his horse without a blanket and put bakin 'powder in the sour-dough. ”
“And yet still we dream: of billiard-table lawns, putting-green lawns, lawns that tickle our bare feet like loop-pile carpet, free from grub or chinch bug or thistle.”
“Grubs, chinch bugs and other critters can harm your lawn.”
“Ohh-oh, that must have been a bed bug, honey a chinch can't bite that hard”
“Ohh-oh, that must have been a bed bug, baby a chinch can't bite that hard1”
“After using the tamarind for chinch ma gojju, I found five seeds inside that tamarind.”
“Getting to these areas would be a chinch, but getting home would be a problem unless a taxi was chartered.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chinch’.
The perfect site for any true wordie who wants to help in small ways.
Looking for tweets for chinch.