from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A widely distributed black to brownish-black chromium ore, FeCr2O4.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dark brown mineral species with the formula FeCr2O4.
- n. Any member of the chromite-magnesiochromite series that is a mixed oxide of iron, magnesium and chromium with the formula (Fe,Mg)Cr2O4. It is a commercial source of chromium.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A black submetallic mineral consisting of oxide of chromium and iron; -- called also chromic iron.
- n. A compound or salt of chromous hydroxide regarded as an acid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Native iron chromite (FeCr2O4), occurring massive and in octahedral crystals of a black color.
- n. Any compound of chromium sesquioxid with a monoxid of another metal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a brownish-black mineral; the major source of chromium
Sorry, no etymologies found.