from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Relating to, living on, or coming from the southern side of the Alps.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. On this side of the Alps (with respect to Rome, therefore the south side).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. On the hither side of the Alps with reference to Rome, that is, on the south side of the Alps; -- opposed to transalpine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Situated on this side of the Alps, with regard to Rome—that is, on the south of the Alps: opposed to transalpine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. on the Italian or Roman side of the Alps
Latin Cisalpīnus : cis-, cis- + alpīnus, alpine; see alpine.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)