from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The supposed power to hear things outside the range of normal perception.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The supposed power to perceive auditory stimuli beyond the realm of normal hearing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Act of hearing, or the ability to hear, sounds not normally audible; -- usually claimed as a special faculty of spiritualistic mediums, or the like.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The supposed power of hearing in a mesmeric trance sounds which are not audible to the ear in the natural waking state.
- n. An exercise of this power.
clair(voyance) + audience.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)