from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An imposing of restrictions or controls: "Advertisers and broadcasters would raise howls of protest against any strong clampdown” ( Wall Street Journal).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sudden repressive or punitive restriction or control
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. sudden restriction on an activity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. repress or suppress (something regarded as undesirable)
- n. sudden restriction on an activity
Sorry, no etymologies found.