from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The office or jurisdiction of a caliph. The last caliphate was held by Ottoman Turkish sultans until it was abolished by Kemal Atatürk in 1924.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A unified federal Islamic government for the Muslim world, ruled by an elected head of state or caliph.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The office, dignity, or government of a caliph or of the caliphs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the office of a caliph
- n. the era of Islam's ascendancy from the death of Mohammed until the 13th century; some Moslems still maintain that the Moslem world must always have a calif as head of the community
- n. the territorial jurisdiction of a caliph
From caliph + -ate (Wiktionary)