American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The office or jurisdiction of a caliph. The last caliphate was held by Ottoman Turkish sultans until it was abolished by Kemal Atatürk in 1924.
- n. A unified federal Islamic government for the Muslim world, ruled by an elected head of state or caliph.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The office, dignity, or government of a caliph or of the caliphs.
- n. the office of a caliph
- n. the era of Islam's ascendancy from the death of Mohammed until the 13th century; some Moslems still maintain that the Moslem world must always have a calif as head of the community
- n. the territorial jurisdiction of a caliph
- From caliph + -ate (Wiktionary)
“And while Bush himself has not actually used the term caliphate, he's essentially described it last week when declaring that the terrorists are seeking to establish "a totalitarian Islamic empire that reaches from Indonesia to Spain.”
“The term "caliphate" refers to a governance system based on sharia law as formerly used by successive Islamic empires.”
“To slur the word caliphate is to insult the chief function of the caliph, to defend the lands of Islam against foreign invaders.”
“BUSH: They hope to establish a violent political utopia across the Middle East, which they call caliphate, where all would be ruled according to their hateful ideology.”
“They hope to establish a violent political utopia across the Middle East, which they call caliphate, where all would be ruled according to their hateful ideology.”
“Mr Jebali later said he had been alluding merely to the principles of "justice, sincerity, freedom and loyalty" evoked by the word "caliphate".”
“I know the idea of a world caliphate is the dream of every muslim.”
“The word caliphate has been used in the president ` s speeches a lot lately.”
“The guide also bans the use of the word caliphate to describe Al Qaeda's goal.”
“This tiime it’s not just the Jews they’re after, it’s the Jews AND ALL INFIDELS until the caliphate is achieved.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘caliphate’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A general list of words that I’ve learned during my self-study times.
With all due respect to Tenacious D for the title.
Looking for tweets for caliphate.