American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A highway interchange at which two highways, one crossing over the other, have a series of entrance and exit ramps resembling the outline of a four-leaf clover and enabling vehicles to proceed in either direction on either highway.
- adj. Resembling or shaped like a leaf of the clover plant.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The leaf of clover; a trefoil.
- adj. In the form of leaf of a clover plant; cloverleafed.
- n. The leaf of a clover plant
- n. US (with plural cloverleafs or cloverleaves) A cloverleaf interchange.
- v. intransitive To turn by following a cloverleaf, or as if by following one.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a highway interchange between two roads in which the connecting road pattern resembles a four-leaf clover, and which allows moving from one road to another without left-hand turns. One road passes over the other, and the exit from one highway and entrance into the second highway proceeds from the right-hand lane in all directions.
- n. an interchange that does not require left-hand turns
“No, I’m suggesting just the opposite: that we can’t keep building new roads and assuming that we’ve gotten the expensive stuff done once that new cloverleaf is finished.”
“Two Bradley tanks stand guard at a "cloverleaf" intersection that is a notorious ambush point.”
“Chef Larry is highly recognized for his culinary accomplishments, especially when he was selected to be a member of the 1992, 1996 and 1992 USA Culinary Teams, winning three gold medals and a special "cloverleaf" award at the world's most prestigious cooking competition, the "Culinary Olympics.”
“This exciting partnership also has its roots in both parties respect for the environment - the "cloverleaf" course was designed to minimize impact on the environment while Thule has gone so far as adding solar panels to the roof of its Seymour, Connecticut manufacturing and office facility that will offset 26\% of the total energy used.”
“The Intermontane Challenge and its unique "cloverleaf" course design filled with epic B.C.”
“The overall race route will be a "cloverleaf" design, with each stage starting and ending in Breckenridge, in a series of interconnected loops with a single campground for riders at the epicenter.”
“In a departure from point-to-point races like BC and TransRockies, the Breck Epic will use a "cloverleaf" model, with each day's stage starting and finishing in Breckenridge.”
“Once, on a one lane cloverleaf ramp, going from one freeway to the other (the two ran perpendicular to each other, if you don't know what I mean by "cloverleaf"), a car passed me.”
“cloverleaf" course design has been worth the effort to construct.”
“The newer superhighways, with their thousands of bridges, overpasses and vast cloverleaf ramps, are crumbling from neglect, according to Mr. Swift.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cloverleaf’.
Many of these words first came into common usage during World War I, and reflect not only the technological and scientific leaps of the early part of the 20th century, but the new experience of glo...
Durable items invented by Hom. Sap.
Looking for tweets for cloverleaf.