from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small loft, garret, or attic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small attic or garret
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An upper loft; a garret; the highest room in a building.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small loft in the top of a house; a small garret or apartment immediately under the roof.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small loft or garret
Probably from its use as a roosting place.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)