from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A room on the top floor of a house, typically under a pitched roof; an attic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An attic or semi-finished room just beneath the roof of a house.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A turret; a watchtower.
- n. That part of a house which is on the upper floor, immediately under or within the roof; an attic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. . A lookout; a watch-tower; a turret or battlement.
- n. That part of a house which is on the upper floor, immediately under the roof; an attic story; especially, the uppermost floor of a house under a roof that slopes down at the sides or at one side.
- A corruption of gallet.
- n. The color of rotten wood.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. floor consisting of open space at the top of a house just below roof; often used for storage
Middle English, from Old French garite, watchtower, from garir, to defend, of Germanic origin; see wer-4 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Middle English (Wiktionary)