from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of cock-up.
- n. A hat or cap worn turned up in front.
- n. A large edible fish of India (Lates calcarifer); the begti.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large, highly esteemed, edible fish of India (Lates calcarifer); -- also called begti.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In printing, having the top much above the top line of the other letters of the text: applied to a large type used for the initial letter of the first word of a volume, part, book, or chapter.
- n. A serranoid fish, Lates calcarifer, of the seas, back-waters, and mouths of rivers of India and neighboring countries.
- n. An old form of hat with the brim much turned up in front.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something badly botched or muddled
- v. raise
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I expect a lot of talk about how things are well in hand, followed in a couple of years by another massive cockup. scott says:
We remember Katrina because there was an obvious cockup on the part of the government.
Israel's interior ministry insisted the incident was a "misunderstanding" and said the 81-year-old professor had not been blacklisted, while a senior government source described the situation as "a total cockup."
To think that Clinton wants "votes to count" (votes for her) out of that unfair cockup is vile.
Bill has made a cockup of this state and there is no way they can spin it otherwise.
Then again, they still remembered Neville Chamberlain's cockup back then, and weren't interested in appeasing anyone else.
Paris 1954, four months after the cockup at Dien Bien Phu.
It was last talked of at the end of the 60's and 70's, both periods preceded by Labour rule or cockup depending on the way you look at it.
It of course remains to be seen whether HORROR FILMS OF THE 1980s will be as big a cockup as its predecessor, but it's hard to feel hopeful.
I'll take the once-in-a-lifetime cockup as odious as the winner was to a system where hundreds of people die in two elections in month, thank you very much.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.