from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Mathematics Designating or specifying a mapping of a surface or region upon another surface so that all angles between intersecting curves remain unchanged.
- adj. Of or relating to a map projection in which small areas are rendered with true shape.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Describing something that conforms, especially that matches the shape of something.
- adj. Describing a map projection which has the property of preserving relative angles over small scales (except at a limited number of distinct points). On such map projections the scale depends only location but not direction. Also referred to as orthomorphic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the same form.
- In mathematics, conserving angles or establishing infinitesimal similarity.
Late Latin cōnfōrmālis, similar : Latin com-, com- + Latin fōrma, shape.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)