from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or indicating equal or constant temperatures.
- adj. Of or designating changes of pressure and volume at constant temperature.
- adj. Of or relating to an isotherm.
- n. An isotherm.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to a process that takes place at constant temperature
- adj. Of or pertaining to an isotherm
- n. An isotherm
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Relating to equality of temperature, or an isotherm.
- adj. Having reference to the geographical distribution of temperature, as exhibited by means of isotherms
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the same degree of heat; of the same temperature; in physical geography, pertaining to or marking equality of temperature; exhibiting the geographical distribution of temperature: as, an isothermal line; the isothermal relations of different continents; an isothermal chart. Also isothermous.
- n. An isothermal line; an isotherm.
- In crystallography, applied to the lines on a crystal face, or more generally to the surfaces in a crystal, which measure the rate of heat-conductivity, these lines or surfaces being characterized by equal degrees of temperature when heat is applied at a certain point.
- n. In thermodynamics, a line or curve determined by the equation of state (pv = RT) of a system, when T has any constant value; a line of equal temperatures.
- n. In spectrophotometry, a curve showing the distribution of intensities in the spectrum of a source of light maintained at constant temperature. Also called isotherm.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of a process or change taking place at constant temperature
Sorry, no etymologies found.