American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The reciprocal of the tangent of an angle in a right triangle.
- n. The tangent of the complement of a directed angle or arc.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In trigonom., the tangent of the complement of a given are or angle. Abbreviated cot. See the figure.
- n. trigonometry In a right triangle, the reciprocal of the tangent of an angle. Symbols: cot, ctg, or ctn
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Trig.) The tangent of the complement of an arc or angle. See
- n. ratio of the adjacent to the opposite side of a right-angled triangle
“It can also be used for such operations as involution (raising to a power) and evolution (extraction of a root) and for calculations with trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent).”
“Out on the various fronts the American soldiers grimly understood that they must hold on where they were for the sake of their comrades on other distant but nevertheless cotangent fronts on the circular line that guard Archangel.”
“On this topic, it isn't completely clear to me why we make kids memorize what the secant, cosecant, and cotangent are.”
“Shit I forgot a dino egg guess cotangent did not want to hatch guess I will have to fix that”
“If we are operating on some variable x, the arccotangent of x is denoted cotÀ1 (x) or arccot (x) The sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant, and cotangent require special restrictions in order for the inverses to be de ﬁ nable as legitimate functions.”
“The Right Triangle Model In the previous chapter, we de ﬁ ned the six circular functions-sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant, and cotangent-in terms of points on a circle.”
“The curves have the same general shape, but while the tangent function always slopes upward as you move toward the right, the cotangent always slopes downward.”
“Graph of the cotangent function for values of x between -3 rad and 3 rad.”
“The graph of the cotangent function looks similar to that of the tangent function.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cotangent’.
Looking for tweets for cotangent.