from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something that serves to check, restrict, or limit something else.
- n. Something that confirms or denies the correctness of a previous check.
- transitive v. To oppose or check by a counteraction.
- transitive v. To check again in order to verify.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A restriction or limit
- n. A second check (in order to confirm or deny a previous one)
- v. To restrict or limit by counteracting
- v. To recheck
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To oppose or check by some obstacle; to check by a return check.
- n. A check; a stop; a rebuke, or censure to check a reprover.
- n. Any force or device designed to restrain another restraining force; a check upon a check.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To oppose or frustrate by some obstacle; check.
- n. Counteraction of a check; a cheek matching a check.
- n. In pianoforte-making, a projection from the hammer-butt that engages with the check. See cut under pianoforte. Also called bumper.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a blank check provided by a bank for the convenience of customers who are making withdrawals
- v. oppose or check by a counteraction
- v. check a second time
- n. something that checks the correctness of a previous check
- n. a check that restrains another check
counter- + check (Wiktionary)