from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a measure of herrings, either imprecise or sometimes legally specified; also rarely a barrel made to hold such a measure
- n. An embellishment played on the lowest note of a chanter of a bagpipe, consisting of a series of grace notes produced by rapid sequential lifting of the fingers of the lower hand.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A measure for fresh herrings, -- as many as will fill a barrel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A local Scotch measure of capacity for fresh herrings, equal to 34 United States (old wine) gallons. Also crane.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a capacity unit used for measuring fresh herring