from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To incinerate (a corpse).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to burn something to ashes
- v. to incinerate a dead body (as an alternative to burial)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To burn; to reduce to ashes by the action of fire, either directly or in an oven or retort; to incremate or incinerate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To burn up or destroy by heat; specifically, to consume (a dead body) by intense heat, as a substitute for burial.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. reduce to ashes
Latin cremāre, cremāt-; see ker-3 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin cremare, to burn to ashes (Wiktionary)