American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A crematorium.
- adj. Of or relating to cremation.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Serving to burn or consume by fire; connected with or employed in cremation: as, a crematory furnace.
- n. An establishment for burning the bodies of the dead, including the furnace and its adjuncts.
- adj. Pertaining to the act of cremating bodies.
- n. The establishment or furnace that cremates bodies.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Pertaining to, or employed in, cremation.
- n. a mortuary where corpses are cremated
- n. a furnace where a corpse can be burned and reduced to ashes
- cremate + -ory (Wiktionary)
“She found out that being cremated is where they take the dead person to a place called a crematory and put them in a box like a casket.”
“I expect 'twould ha 'been called a crematory to-day. ”
“The assembled throng marched down St. Charles Avenue to Nashville Avenue, and then up to the cemetery, with Jake carrying the crematory urn most of the way.”
“Millions in the hands of my guardians, slathers of shekels of my mother's that'll be mine if she beats me to the crematory, another million waiting to be dug up, and in the meantime I'm cadging on Lavina for two drinks a day.”
“I assume that the mortuary/crematory and the butcher and the factories will be intermixed in with all these living units so that everything was nice and convenient and no motorized transportation is needed.”
“The pine crates are marked with names of sites where the human dust and bits of bone were found -- a factory or a school, perhaps, or a neighborhood crematory.”
“They trick themselves into believing they will outwit the game and win to a future, leaving the other animals to the darkness of the grave or the annihilating heats of the crematory.”
“At the front of the gate, bodies covered with straw mats were stacked on a cart, probably to be taken to a crematory.”
“The inspector was reviewing a refrigerated area located in a garage structure that houses the crematory.”
“A special exception application was approved to add 20,596 square feet, including a crematory, chapel and garage, to a funeral home at 6512 NW Crain Hwy.,”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘crematory’.
Words that end in -tory. This list is now in retirement and nothing you say will make me add to it. You owe many thanks to sionnach, reesetee, and oroboros for its untimely demise. It was fun while...
Looking for tweets for crematory.