American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Fast-paced science fiction involving futuristic computer-based societies.
- n. science fiction, uncountable A subgenre of science fiction which focuses on computer or information technology and virtual reality.
- n. countable A cyberpunk character, a hacker punk, a high-tech low life.
- n. countable A writer of cyberpunk fiction.
- n. a programmer who breaks into computer systems in order to steal or change or destroy information as a form of cyber-terrorism
- n. a writer of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology
- n. a genre of fast-paced science fiction involving oppressive futuristic computerized societies
- cyber- + punk, coined by Bruce Bethke as the title of a 1983 short story. (Wiktionary)
“Well, Miracle Man predated the term cyberpunk and the Wachowskis demonstrated their interest in Moore with their interest in adapting V for Vendetta beginning in the early 1990s.”
“The cyberpunk is usually an outsider * not* of his/her own choosing, but because the structure of society is inherently unfair and favors the rich (who usually have to intentionally buy into or perpetrate the evils of society to get that way, ala the Bush Administration or, well, the 80s, when the genre was at its height.)”
“Anyone who has read my articles knows that, with the exception of specific authors (Pat Murphy, Melissa Scott, Richard Morgan), cyberpunk is not the lime in my gin-and-tonic.”
“I was working my way through Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash when I started to think about the role of techno-jargon in cyberpunk books, especially William Gibson's and Stephenson's work.”
“When I read about this the phrase cyberpunk thrilled me so much that I avoided reading any so that I could just mentally riff on the concept -- here's some of what I came up with.”
“Interesting thing from a posting in cyberpunk - First piercing-type thing I'm vaguely willing to do - given my usual opinion of "If I get anything like that done it'll be augumentation not ornamentation", this is a darn cool thing.”
“To me, cyberpunk is a genre that explores the interaction of technology and man (in the generic sense of the word) in a not so distant future.”
“According to The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, cyberpunk is a “term used to describe a school of sf writing that developed and became popular during the 1980s.””
“But, as I’ve explained to numerous people, cyberpunk is NOT a pessimistic genre.”
“I was thinking about writing something in cyberpunk.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cyberpunk’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
slang terms for crimes, also words associated with shady behaviour
words that describe me or that i am focusing on.
( personal list )
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Looking for tweets for cyberpunk.