from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An encyclopedia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of cyclopaedia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The circle or compass of the arts and sciences (originally, of the seven so-called liberal arts and sciences); circle of human knowledge. Hence, a work containing, in alphabetical order, information in all departments of knowledge, or on a particular department or branch. See encyclopedia.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A book containing accounts of the principal subjects in one branch of science, art, or learning in general: as, a cyclopedia of botany; a cyclopedia of mechanics.
- n. In a broader sense, a book comprising accounts of all branches of learning; an encyclopedia. See encyclopedia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a reference work (often in several volumes) containing articles on various topics (often arranged in alphabetical order) dealing with the entire range of human knowledge or with some particular specialty
Short for encyclopedia.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)