from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. To appear as dark.
- adv. mysterious
- adv. Faintly seen in the dark.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. With imperfect light, clearness, or knowledge; obscurely; dimly; blindly; uncertainly.
- adv. With a dark, gloomy, cruel, or menacing look.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a dark manner; so as to appear dark; as a dark object or spot.
- Blindly; as one deprived of sight; with uncertainty.
- Dimly; obscurely; faintly; imperfectly.
- Mysteriously; with sinister vagueness: as, it was darkly hinted that murder had been committed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. in a dark glowering menacing manner
- adv. without light
Hungry mice were waiting in darkly camouflaged papers like frozen cars with their headlights on fire.
•On the upside, neither one of them is about to smash a precarious piece of evidence, as Charlie (Damian Lewis) does in darkly amusing fashion on another good episode of Life (NBC, 10 ET/PT).
Didn't I read somewhere that a scanner darkly is being made into a movie starring everyone's favorite carp, er, actor, keanu (sp?) reeves?
He didn’t stumble or trip over his words, bringing them up quickly and darkly from the cavern of his chest, half cough and half words, “Why was your father so attached to the child?”
He purses his lips and the little silver rings give his expression a darkly comic glint.
The Queen looks at the Royal family and their response to the death of Princess Diana and is described as a darkly comic film.
Lo, now the Trinity appears unto me in a glass darkly, which is
We see through the glass darkly, which is perhaps why sometimes the world seems grim, but in the clear light of Heaven, every day really is Easter.
My favorite was the first of the day, The Guard, the kind of darkly comic crime tale that the Irish seem to have a patent on.
And the balsamic-incensey base makes L'Eau de L'Eau the kind of darkly-melancholic scent I like to wear for comfort on my "wallowing" days.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.