from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A mucous membrane lining the uterus, modified during pregnancy and shed at parturition or during menstruation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A mucous membrane that lines the uterus and is shed during menstruation and modified during pregnancy
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The inner layer of the wall of the uterus, which envelops the embryo, forms a part of the placenta, and is discharged with it.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In physiology, a membrane arising from alteration of the upper layer of the mucous membrane of the uterus, after the reception into the latter of the impregnated ovum, the name being given to it because it is discharged at parturition.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the epithelial tissue of the endometrium
The peculiar tissue growth within the uterus called decidua, which occurs normally in pregnancy and serves to fasten the developing ovum to the inner lining of the uterus, may be produced experimentally.
The part of the decidua which lines the remainder of the body of the uterus is known as the decidua vera or decidua parietalis.
This comes away as the "afterbirth" at parturition; at the same time, the part of the mucous lining of the womb that has united inseparably with the chorion is torn away; hence it is called the decidua ( "falling-away membrane"), and also the
In the uterine cavity the placenta acts as a physical barrier between the fetus and the mucosa of the uterine wall (also known as the decidua) .
What She Planted: Possumhaw trees ( Ilex decidua ) show off red berries above striped slender trunks for much of the winter and the purple wisteria-like blossoms of the Texas mountain laurel ( Sophora secundiflora ) flamboyantly and fragrantly announce the arrival of spring.
Tree species include Acacia raddiana, Balanites aegyptiaca, Maerua crassifolia and Capparis decidua; herbaceous species are Panicum turgidum, Cassia italica, Pergularia tomentosa and Heliotropium bacciferum.
Scrublands are dominated by ber and kair Capparis decidua.
Closer to the interior, larch (Larix decidua), arolla pine (Pinus cembra), and scotch pine (Pinus sylvestris) replaces P. mugo.
Possum Haw, Ilex decidua, is also very nice, I believe it gets somewhat larger than these winterberries, forming a tree.
At the timberline belt of the Tatras mixed Pinus cembra-Larix decidua forests grow, similar those in central Alps. Above timberline, (1400 m in the north-western Carpathians to 1900 m in the south), there is a distinct krummholz zone consisting of dense thickets of mountain pine (Pinus mugo), dwarf juniper (Juniperus communis subsp. nana) and green alder (Alnus viridis).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.