from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Anatomy The portion of a hollow organ opposite or farthest from its opening.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the large, hollow part of an organ farthest from an opening; especially
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The bottom or base of any hollow organ
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In a general sense, bottom; depths: as, the fundus of a cave or a wood.
- n. In anatomy, the larger end of any cone- or pearshaped organ, as the upper part of the uterus, the left portion of the stomach, or the anterior and lower end of the gall-bladder.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (anatomy) the base of a hollow organ or that part of the organ farthest from its opening
It's very discouraging, especially when you go to the doctor and find out that your fundus is still well below the pelvis bone - so why exactly is my tummy starting to stick out approximately one inch below the breastbone?
Your fundus, which is the top of the uterus, will be high up in your abdomen, and this can lead to heartburn, inability to eat large meals, and shortness of breath.
Fallopian tube; the upper portion of the uterus is called the fundus; the external opening of the womb, situated in the center of the cervix, is called the mouth of the womb, or the _os_, or external os.
The left portion of the body is known as the fundus, and is marked off from the remainder of the body by a plane passing horizontally through the cardiac orifice.
In this method the fundus is the scene of crushing, and there is a risk of injuring the sensitive neck of the bladder, especially at the moment of opening the blades.
The fundus is the interior surface of the eye, opposite the lens, and includes the retina, optic disc and the macula.
Although a baby’s size and the amount of amniotic fluid differ among pregnancies, the length of your pregnancy in weeks approximates the distance in centimeters between your pubic bone and the top of your uterus called the fundus.
Macellum (Amm.Marc. "fundus") was near Mt. Argaeus (Soz.v. 2) and close to Caesarea.
Suddenly a good poem Health fundus, syntactic arrangement has been hard to find.
It stands in the footprint of a building complex known as the Sessorian Palace, a private imperial residence adjoining the fundus Laurentus, which, besides the restored Baths of Helen, once boasted a circus, a small amphitheater, gardens, and other amenities.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.