from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various paired spherical bacteria, including those of the genus Diplococcus, some of which are pathogenic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A coccus that typically occurs in groups of two
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A form of micrococcus in which cocci are united in a binary manner. See micrococcus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In biology, a coupled spherule; a cell or similar organism resulting from the process of conjugation of two or more cells.
- n. [capitalized] A generic name erroneously applied by some writers to certain species of micrococcus in which the cells occur in pairs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Gram-positive bacteria usually occurring in pairs
diplo- + coccus (Wiktionary)