from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dipterous insect.
- adj. Of or belonging to the order Diptera; dipterous.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of very many flies, of the order Diptera, that have two wings
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An insect of the order Diptera.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as dipterous.
- n. A dipterous insect; a member of the order Diptera. Also dipteron.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. insects having usually a single pair of functional wings (anterior pair) with the posterior pair reduced to small knobbed structures and mouth parts adapted for sucking or lapping or piercing
Sorry, no etymologies found.