from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A full-skirted dress with a tight bodice and low neck, that is either sleeveless or has short full sleeves.
- n. A full skirt with a gathered waistband.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A traditional Alpine women's dress having a tight bodice and full skirt
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a full skirt with a gathered waistband
- n. a dress with a tight bodice and full skirt
German, short for Dirndlkleid : German dialectal Dirndl, diminutive of Dirne, girl (from Old High German diorna) + Kleid, dress.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From German. In the South German dialects (Bairisch), the word originally referred to a young woman or a girl. (Wiktionary)