from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See moonfish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Peprilus triacanthus, the American butterfish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a fish of the United States coast (Stromateus triacanthus), having a flat, roundish form and a bright silvery luster; -- called also butterfish, and Lafayette. See Butterfish.
- n. small food fish (Poronotus triacanthus) of the Atlantic coast.
- n. any of several silvery marine fishes with very flat bodies.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A carangoid fish, Vomer sctipinnis: so named from the roundness and silvery color of the young. Also called moonfish (which see).
- n. A stromatoid fish, Stromateus triacanthus: so named from its round form and silvery color. Also called butter-fish and harvest-fish. See cut under butter-fish.
- n. A flat, disk-shaped echinoderm, Echinarachnius parma, found along the Atlantic coast. Also known as cake-urchin and sand-dollar.
- n. The John-dory, Zeus australis: so called from the mark on its side.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several silvery marine fishes with very flat bodies
- n. small food fish of Atlantic coast
dollar + fish (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.