from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several marine fishes of the family Carangidae, found in warm coastal waters of North and South America and having short compressed bodies and a silver to yellowish color. Also called dollarfish.
- n. See opah.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various flat, egground marine fish species.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An American marine fish (Vomer setipennis); -- called also bluntnosed shiner, horsefish, and sunfish.
- n. A broad, thin, silvery marine fish (Selene vomer); -- called also lookdown, and silver moonfish.
- n. The mola. See sunfish, 1.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of several fishes.
- n. The opah, Lampris guttatus.
- n. Same as mariposa, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several silvery marine fishes with very flat bodies
- n. large elliptical brightly colored deep-sea fish of Atlantic and Pacific and Mediterranean
Germanic: moon + fish; parallel to the cognate, synonymous Dutch maanvis. (Wiktionary)