from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A variety of feldspar valued as a gem for its pearly translucence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A translucent gemstone, an orthoclase feldspar, that has a pearly lustre.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A nearly pellucid variety of feldspar, showing pearly or opaline reflections from within. It is used as a gem. The best specimens come from Ceylon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A variety of feldspar which by reflected light presents a delicate pearly play of color not unlike that of the moon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a transparent or translucent gemstone with a pearly luster; some specimens are orthoclase feldspar and others are plagioclase feldspar
Sorry, no etymologies found.