from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A soft metamorphic rock composed mostly of the mineral talc. Also called steatite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a soft rock, rich in talc, also containing serpentine and either magnetite, dolomite or calcite
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See steatite, and talc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A variety of steatite (see talc); specifically, a piece of such stone used when heated for a griddle, a foot-warmer, or other like purpose.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a soft heavy compact variety of talc having a soapy feel; used to make hearths and tabletops and ornaments
From its smooth soapy feel.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)